Help With Filing Federal Discrimination Complaints

The thought of having to take on the Federal government for discrimination can be overwhelming, but it does not have to be. All Federal agencies that provide financial assistance are responsible for investigating complaints of discrimination. If you feel you have been a victim of discrimination, you may file a complaint with the specific Federal agency that provides funding for the agency you work for. Listed below is information that provides you with options and resources to help you determine which agency may best be able to assist you.

Office for Civil Rights at the Department of Education:

The Department of Education upholds civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive Federal financial aid. Some of these programs are admissions, recruitment, and employment. Those who may have experienced such discrimination are teachers, college professors, or other faculty members. If you feel you have been discriminated against by a vocational college, public school or university, that receives Federal financial assistance, then it is important to refer your complaint to this office so your claim can be investigated.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights:

This agency protects people from discrimination in certain health care and social services settings. There are many different areas of employment that fall under this agency, such as doctors, nurses, and pharmacists as well as, social workers, daycare workers, and those employed in Medicaid and Medicare offices. If you have been victimized due to any form of discrimination such as race, religion, or disability this office will investigate your claim to determine if you have been discriminated against and ensure that your civil rights are protected.

U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division:

The Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice works hard to uphold both the civil and constitutional rights of all Americans, but particularly some of the most vulnerable men and women in our society. It enforces federal statutes prohibiting discrimination on the bases of racesexdisabilityreligionfamilial status, and national origin. This department is divided into eleven sections, two of which include resources for employment discrimination.

The Employment Litigation Section enforces the Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994. This law prohibits employers from discriminating or retaliating against an employee or applicant because of such a person’s past, current or future military obligation. Then there is the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Practice. They put in force various federal immigration laws such as discrimination of citizenship status, the wrongful firing of employees, and retaliation or intimidation tactics against an employed immigrant. You should file a claim with this office if you feel you have been terminated from your job or overlooked for employment due to your military obligations or immigration status.

Charge of Discrimination with the EEOC:

There are many forms of discrimination that the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission oversees. Most of the laws enforced by the EEOC require you to file a Charge of Discrimination with them before you can file a discrimination lawsuit against your employer. The laws enforced by the EEOC require the agency to notify the employer that a charge has been filed against them. A charge of discrimination is a signed statement asserting that an employer, union, or labor organization engaged in employment discrimination and its requests that the EEOC take remedial action. This agency not only deals with discrimination claims for race, disability, or religion but they also look-into other discriminatory actions such as agepregnancy, and gender identity.

How Scott Gilmore Thompson Can Help:

If you feel that you have suffered discrimination from a Federal or state-funded organization, you do not have to cope with this on your own. Please allow the Scott Gilmore Thompson to assist you through the legal process.